Planning your move

Visa and Work permit

After having been appointed to a position at HiØ, you should apply for a visa and a work permit as soon as possible:

  1. You need to make an appointment online at
  2. You need to make sure you bring the correct documents with you when you go to the Service Centre for Foreign Workers (SUA).
  3. Most candidates to positions at HiØ will be in the category of skilled worker. Check the documentation requirements based on your country of origin at
  4. The permit you need to stay and work in Norway depends on your country of origin and for how long you are planning to stay.

Find out what residence permit you need and how to apply at the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration.


Foundation for student life (SiØ) may have available studios in Halden or Fredrikstad for temporary housing. You can apply online at
Main websites for housing in Norway: (in Norwegian.)
More information: Learn more about the Norwegian housing market at EURAXESS.