Who can borrow from our library, and what do you need in order to do so?
- You need to have a library card at Østfold University College. Students and staff at ØUC use the student/staff card as their library card.
- Students can also download an app called “Studentbevis”, and use this as a library card.
- You need to bring your library card to borrow books and other items.
- External users may also borrow from Østfold University College Library. National library cards and library cards from other universities or colleges in Norway may be used here when they have been registered in our library system. Personal attendance is required to activate the card. To get a new library card you have to show proof of identity. External users may use the library premises and collections, and get guidance in how to use the library.
Borrowing and loan periods
- The normal loan period is four weeks.
- For curriculum books the loan period is two weeks.
- For DVDs and periodicals the loan period is one week.
- One day loans must be returned the same day.
- DVDs and journals will be automatically renewed for up to one month. Then they must be returned.
- Other loans will be automatically renewed for up to six months. Then they must be returned.
- Requested items will not be renewed.
- One day loans will not be renewed.
What happens when the loan period is up?
- You will get a notification 3 days before the loan is due.
- On the day the loan is due you will receive a reminder.
- 7 days after the loan is due you will receive a second reminder.
- 14 days after the loan is due you will receive a last reminder, informing you that you will get a compensation claim unless you return the loan.
- After 21 days, a compensation claim with a fee is sent out. Your library card gets blocked, and you have to return the loan or pay before you can borrow something else. The fee is NOK 200,- per book/item. The replacement cost is NOK 700,- per book/item. If you return the loan after 21 days, you still have to pay the fee.
- You may return Østfold University College Library books at all libraries in Østfold. However, please note that the books are not registered as returned until they reach our library.
One day loans
- You will get a reminder the same day as the book was borrowed.
- If the book is not returned the same day, your library card will be blocked.
- It is possible to request books which are out on loan. You will be notified via SMS or e-mail when the book is available. The collection deadline is three days.
- It is not possible to request one day loans.
- If you need books or articles which are not owned by our library, we may provide this if it is relevant for your work or studies.
- You will be notified via SMS or e-mail when the item is available. The collection deadline is three days. You may notify us if you want to pick up the books at one of the public libraries in Østfold. Journal article copies will be sent to your post address.
- We do not provide curriculum books on interlibrary loan.
- Titles present in our own collection, hobby books or other books for leisure reading, are not object to interlibrary loan.
- The owning library sets the loan period and decides if renewal is possible.
- The library card is personal and should not be used by anyone else. You are personally responsible for items registered on your library card. The library advise you not to lend these to others.
- The library card holder is responsible to update her/his address, phone number and e-mail address. Students may do so in Studweb [link?]. Other library card holders may do so in Oria.
- The library card holder is personally responsible for the borrowed items, and for returning them in the same condition in which they were received.
- Loss or damage of library material will result in a compensation claim with the amount of NOK 700.
- If the items reappear after the compensation claim has been paid, the amount will not be refunded.
Contravention of these rules may result in the loss of borrowing rights at Østfold University College Library.