Facts and figures about Østfold University College
- Østfold University College has around 100 studies taught in new and modern premises.
- The university college has a total of just under 7,000 students. There are nearly 3,600 ordinary students at campus Halden, nearly 2,400 ordinary students at campus Fredrikstad, and nearly 1,000 students are taking continuing and further education programmes under the auspices of HiØ VIDERE (Centre for Continuing Education) at both campuses.
- The school has more than 550 members of staff.
- Students have good opportunities to take parts of their studies abroad.
- Østfold University College facilitates flexible education solutions
Østfold University College was founded on 1 August 1994.
On this date, five university colleges in Østfold county merged to create the new institution:
- Østfold nursing college, founded in 1955
- Halden teacher training college, founded in 1963
- Østfold college of engineering, founded in 1965
- Østfold regional college, founded in 1977
- Østfold social educator college, founded in 1980
Study programmes at Østfold University College
- The university college's academic activities are extensive: See HiØ's course catalogue online.
- HiØ offers a broad range of one-year programmes, bachelor's and master's degree programmes.
- HiØ also offers many continuing and further education programmes.
- In addition HiØ offers a number of courses taught in English, as well as courses taught in German, French and Spanish
Campus Halden offers programmes at the:
- Faculty of Computer Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Business, Languages, and Social Sciences
Campus Fredrikstad at Kråkerøy offers programmes at the:
Board and management
- The University College Board consists of 11 members and has overall responsibility for the university college's activities.
- Østfold University College has an elected rectorate (rector and pro-rector) and a permanently employed university college director.
- The HiØ units (see the above list) are headed by deans.
- Most of the university college's management are located in Halden.
Research and development
- The HiØ staff are engaged in basic research, applied research, professionally oriented and vocationally relevant research and development work in most areas covered by the university college's portfolio of study programmes.
- Applied research and development work is often carried out in collaboration with business and industry in the region and with the public sector.
- The students' competence is developed through research-based teaching and by introducing them to student-active research and development. The research carried out at HiØ also helps to safeguard and realise a multitude of values and cultures in society, and to develop new knowledge that is communicated to other researchers and users and to society at large.
The Foreign Language Centre
The Norwegian National Centre for Foreign Languages in Education is located at Østfold University College's Campus Halden as a unit with 6.2 full-time equivalents. HiØ's broad and extensive linguistic community helped to lay the foundations for the establishment of the Foreign Language Centre, which was formed to strengthen language subjects in Norwegian education in general and in business and industry in particular.
Partners - International Relations
Østfold University College has many partners, both national and international ones. As for its mission, Østfold University College is a regional institution with the particular responsibility for the local community. In addition to this reginonal focus, HiØ collaborates with over 100 universities world wide and participate in international co-operation programmes such as Erasmus+ and Nordplus.
The welfare of HiØ students is attended to in several ways – including through the considerable efforts of the Foundation for Student Life and the Student Parliament in Østfold.
Among other things, the Foundation for Student Life for Østfold runs the counselling service, student accommodation, bookshops and several canteens at HiØ.
The Student Parliament for Østfold attends to student democracy at HiØ with the help of many student representatives and other active participants from the different programmes and units at the university college.
Presentation of Østfold University College (PowerPoint)