Norwegian national identity number

Students that stay in Norway for more than six months are required to register in the National Registry and get a Norwegian national identity number.

To do this, download, complete and take the form Notification of a move to Norway from abroad to Skatt Øst in Sarpsborg:

Skatt Øst Grålum, the Office for Foreign Workers
Rådmann Siras vei 4

You must also bring the following documents:

  • A registration certificate (EU/EEA students) or residence permit card (non-EU/EEA students)
  • Your passport
  • Your tenancy contract
  • Your admission letter

You will find a complete list of required documentation on the Norwegian Tax Administration’s website.

Remember to book an appointment with the Norwegian Tax Administration (Skatt Øst Grålum).

Remember to keep the Norwegian Tax Administration updated on your address, even after you leave Norway. Government agencies in Norway will send post to the address that is registered in the National Registry. If the address is incorrect, you may miss important information.

After registering with Skatt Øst, you will receive a letter with your Norwegian identity number. This number is required to:

Become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
Register for a general practitioner
Order a tax deduction card
Open a Norwegian bank account

Electronic ID

In order to use digital services provided by Norwegian public agencies, you must have an electronic ID for secure identification, such as MinID or BankID. You will find information on how to sign up as an online user on the Norwegian Tax Administration’s website.



Published June 18, 2018 3:43 PM - Last modified Oct. 29, 2018 10:10 AM