Health insurance

All students must have health insurance covering their entire stay in Norway. We strongly recommend all students to have travel and property insurance in addition to their health insurance.

Students from Nordic countries

As a Nordic citizen, you will become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme if you register in the National Registry. If you are not a member, however, you are still entitled to health services under the National Insurance Act.

Students from EU/EEA countries

If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen and have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC,) you must bring this card with you and make sure it is valid for the entire study period in Norway. The EHIC entitles you to necessary health care services on the same terms as Norwegians citizens.

Check with the national insurance authorities in your country of residence whether you are entitled to an EHIC. If you are not entitled to this card, you must bring alternative documentation to show adequate health insurance. Make sure this health insurance covers Norway, the entire period of your stay and that the documentation is in English.

The EHIC is not an alternative to travel and property insurance, and it does not cover private healthcare and dental services or medical transportation back home if you were to fall ill. You should therefore consider getting a private insurance policy for these purposes. 

Students from non-EU/EEA countries

Studying in Norway for less than 3 months: If you are staying for less than three months, you must have adequate medical insurance from your home country for the entire period of your stay.

Studying in Norway for between 3 and 12 months: If the duration of your stay in Norway is between three and twelve months, you can apply for voluntary membership of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. You will have to fill out the application form for voluntary membership(PDF, Norwegian). 

Send the application form and cover letter, along with a copy of your admission letter, passport and residence permit card and national ID number/D-number to the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV) in your municipality.

Please note that the application process may take up to three months. For this reason, we do not recommend that you apply unless you are staying for 6-12 months. You must then make sure that you have valid health insurance from your home country covering your entire stay in Norway.

Studying in Norway for more than 12 months: If you are studying in Norway for more than 12 months, you will automatically become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme after registering in the National Registry.

It may take some time to register in the National Registry, and you must therefore have health insurance from your home country covering the first few weeks of your stay.

More information about membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme is available on NAV’s website.

Return to 'Before Arrival'

Published June 18, 2018 3:40 PM - Last modified Aug. 22, 2022 2:09 PM