Birgit LeickFaculty of Business, Languages and Social Sciences
Office: Room A3-051, Halden-Remmen (3rd floor)
Faglige interesser/Academic interests
I am a business economist and economic geographer and work on several topics at the interface between business economics and economic geography. My current research interest focuses on the two following themes:
- Inter-firm business networks and clusters (SME networks, business networks in peripheral regions, brokers in business networks, cross-border business networks)
- Regional entrepreneurship (digital entrepreneurs in the sharing economy, institutional entrepreneurship in non-core regions, rural entrepreneurship in creative industries)
Previously, I have been working on demographic challenges, adaptive firm strategies and institutions in the regional economy. Moreover, I have been involved in research addressing regional economic development in non-core regions (e.g., rural-peripheral regions).
In a nutshell, my overarching research interests is to explore the inter-relationship of enterprise development/entrepreneurship and the regional economy from various perspectives. My work is therefore cross-disciplinary, to a large extent.
Academic CV (9 October 2019)
In the Department of Business Administration and Economics, I am teaching the following courses in the Bachelor Programme in Business Administration:
- International Marketing (since Autumn 2017)
- Bachelor Thesis Seminar (Spring 2017)
- Bedriftsøkonomisk Analyse - Gjesteforleser (Autumn 2017)
- Foretaksstrategi og innovasjon (scheduled for Autumn 2020)
- Entrepreneurship in Global Perspective (scheduled for Autumn 2020)
I have been lecturing in business administration, industrial engineering, human geography and regional planning study programmes at undergraduate (bachelor) and graduate (master and diploma) level. I am supervising bachelor, master and Ph.D. theses (2009-2017: University of Bayreuth; 2017-present: Østfold University College and University of Southeastern Norway). I am a co-supervisor for Ph.D. students in the Geographical Institute of University of Bayreuth.
Please see my CV for a complete overview of my teaching portfolio (2003-present).
Recent appointments and affiliations
- 2017-present: Associate professor for business economics at Østfold University College, Faculty of Business, Languages, and Social Sciences (Norway).
- 2013-2017: Assistant professor in economic geography, University of Bayreuth (Germany).
- 2009-2012: Senior lecturer in economic geography, University of Bayreuth (Germany).
- 2016-present: Research fellow of the Centre for Regional Economic Development, University of Bern (Switzerland)
- 2019-present: Qualification for full professor positions in Norway in the field of innovation and regional development. Awarding institution: Western Norwegian University of Applied Sciences (Norway).
- 2018-present: Qualification for full professor positions in Europe in the field of economic geography (habilitation thesis in economics/economic geography, facultas docendi, awarded 2018). Awarding institution: University of Bayreuth (Germany).
- 2003-2006: Ph.D. in business economics (doctor rerum politicarum, 2006). Awarding institution: University of Technology and Mining (Germany).
- 1998-2002: Bachelor in Business Economics, University of Hagen (Germany); and Master of Business Administration, University of Technology and Mining in Freiberg (Germany).
Experience outside academia
- 2007-2009: Publishing and commissioning editor in the area of business administration and economics, Springer Business+Science Media (Germany).
- 1998-1999: Central Credit Department, ABN Amro Bank (Germany).
Academic service and administrative experience at universities, faculties and departments:
Østfold University College, Norway (2017-present):
- Research group leader “Business Development and Governance”
- Member of the FoU Utvalg/Research Development Steering Committee, Faculty of Business, Languages, and Social Sciences
- Programme coordinator Bachelor in Business Administration including the English specialisation “International Business”
- Member of the LUKU Teaching Development/Teaching Quality Committee, Faculty of Business, Languages, and Social Sciences
- Member of evaluation committees for professoral positions (markedsføring and bedriftsøkonomi in 2019)
- Student exchange/mobility representative for study programmes in business administration, e.g., Erasmus+ mobility of students
- Co-supervisor for marketing/business administration at University of South-Eastern Norway, Department of Business and IT
University of Bayreuth, Germany (2009-2017):
- Member of the University Council, representative of the non-professoral academic faculty staff (2015-2017)
- Member of the commission of the non-professoral academic faculty staff (2015-2017)
- Representative of the non-professoral academic faculty staff in the Faculty of Biology, Chemistry, and Geosciences (2015-2017)
- Student exchange/mobility coordinator, e.g., Erasmus mobility of students, Human Geography study programmes in collaboration with the Head of Department
University of Technology and Mining Freiberg, Germany (2003-2006):
- Student exchange/mobility coordinator for the double-degree programmes in business administration with the University of Economics Poznan (Poland) and the University of Trento (Italy) in collaboration with the Head of Department
Tidligere forskningsstillinger/Recent academic positions held
- 2017-present: Associate professor in business economics, Østfold University College, Norway
- 2016-present: Research fellow, Centre for Regional Economic Development, University of Bern, Switzerland <http://www.cred.unibe.ch/forschung/research_fellows/index_ger.html>
- 2013-2017: Assistant professor in economic geography, University of Bayreuth, Germany, Department of Economic Geography <http://www.wigeo.uni-bayreuth.de/de/index.html>
- 2009-2012: Senior lecturer and postdoctoral researcher in economic geography, University of Bayreuth, Germany, Department of Economic Geography <http://www.wigeo.uni-bayreuth.de/de/index.html>
Please refer to my CV for a complete list of positions held.
- Contesting Schengen: Effects of border enforcements on economic and social cohesion in European border spaces
- International business incubators BRIC countries (Work in progress)
- Knowledge sharing in business cluster and network contexts (Special issue, in preparation)
- SMEs and regional banks from an embeddedness perspective (Working title)
- The value of social capital and embeddedness: Revisiting place-based business networks
- Leick, Birgit (2019). Steering through tough times? Insights into strategic change processes of small firms in the context of demographic challenges. International Journal of Globalisation and Small Business. ISSN 1479-3059. 10(2), s 163- 186 . doi: 10.1504/IJGSB.2019.097931 Show summary
- Mayer, Heike & Leick, Birgit (2019). Entrepreneurship and ageing: Exploring an economic geography perspective, In Mikaela Backman; Charlie Karlsson & Orsa Kekezi (ed.), Handbook of Research on Entrepreneurship and Aging. Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 978 1 78811 620 6. 3.
- Leick, Birgit & Gretzinger, Susanne (2018). Brokerage and governance for business networks: a metasynthesis-based discussion. Journal of Management and Governance. ISSN 1385-3457. 22(4), s 773- 804 . doi: 10.1007/s10997-018-9403-2 Show summary
- Leick, Birgit & Gretzinger, Susanne (2018). Institutional entrepreneurship: a different perspective on political entrepreneurs?, In Charlie Karlsson; Charlotte Silander & Daniel Silander (ed.), Governance and Political Entrepreneurship in Europe: Promoting Growth and Welfare in Times of Crisis. Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 9781788112758. Chapter 3. s 42 - 55
- Leick, Birgit & Gretzinger, Susanne (2018). Local cases of institutional entrepreneurship: change agents in regions facing demographic change, In Charlie Karlsson; Charlotte Silander & Daniel Silander (ed.), Governance and Political Entrepreneurship in Europe: Promoting Growth and Welfare in Times of Crisis. Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 9781788112758. Chapter 12. s 254 - 269
- Leick, Birgit & Lang, Thilo (2018). Re-thinking non-core regions: planning strategies and practices beyond growth. European Planning Studies. ISSN 0965-4313. 26(2), s 213- 228 . doi: 10.1080/09654313.2017.1363398 Show summary
- Leick, Birgit (2017). Institutional entrepreneurs and small firms: How firm practices are being shaped in the context of demographic transformations.. Journal of Small Business and Entrepreneurship. ISSN 0827-6331. 29(1), s 1- 24 . doi: 10.1080/08276331.2016.1248055
- Leick, Birgit & Glorius, Birgit (2017). Editorial on the special issue "Theorising and narrating the geographies of demographic change". Comparative population studies. ISSN 1869-8980. 41(3-4), s 207- 224 . doi: 10.12765/CPoS-2017-05en Full text in Research Archive.
- Leick, Birgit & Gretzinger, Susanne (2017). Brokerage-based value creation: The case of a Danish offshore business network. The IMP Journal. ISSN 2059-1403. 11(3), s 353- 375 . doi: /10.1108/IMP-02-2016-0004 Show summary
- Leick, Birgit; Matuschewski, Anke & Demuth, Marcel (2017). Growth-based Theories for Declining Regions? A Note on Conceptualisations of Demographic Change for Regional Economic Development. Comparative population studies. ISSN 1869-8980. 41(3-4), s 225- 254 . doi: 10.12765/CPoS-2017-04en Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Leick, Birgit (2013). Balancing firm and network-based resources to gain competitive advantage: A case study of an artisanal musical instruments cluster in Germany.. Socio-Economic Studies. ISSN 0935-9915. 24(2), s 77- 95 . doi: 10.1688/1861-9908_mrev_2013_02_Leick
- Leick, Birgit (2012). Business networks in the cross-border regions of the enlarged EU: what do we know in the post-enlargement era?. Journal of Borderlands Studies. ISSN 0886-5655. 27(3), s 299- 314 . doi: 10.1080/08865655.2012.750952
- Leick, Birgit & Matuschewski, Anke (2012). Wirtschaftsentwicklung in demographischen Schrumpfungsregionen – Unternehmerische Herausforderungen und Strategien am Beispiel von Oberfranken. Raumforschung und Raumordnung. ISSN 1869-4179. 70(6), s 515- 530 . doi: 10.1007/s13147-012-0200-0 Show summary
- Leick, Birgit (2011). Barriers to co-operation and competitive advantage: Cross-border business networks of Saxon and Northern Bohemian firms.. JEEMS. Journal of East European Management Studies. ISSN 0949-6181. 16(2), s 162- 184 . doi: 10.2307/23281854.
- Leick, Birgit (2010). Cluster initiatives in cross-border regions: a way for traditional musical instruments manufacturers from East Germany and the Czech Republic to survive in a globalised world?. GeoScape. ISSN 1802-1115. 5(2), s 218- 224
- Leick, Birgit (2010). Gaining competitive advantage through business collaboration within border regions. GeoScape. ISSN 1802-1115. 5(1), s 97- 105
- Leick, Birgit (2010). What determines the co-operative potential for firms in Western and CEE border regions? A micro-level analysis of the Saxon-Czech border area.. Economic and Business Review. ISSN 1580-0466. 12(2), s 109- 128
- Leick, Birgit (2019). Institutional entrepreneurs – Wer sind diese Agenten des Wandels in ländlich-peripheren Räumen?.
- Leick, Birgit; Lessmann, Grit; Stroehl, Alexander & Pargent, Tim (2019). How to conceptualize a local trust business in a globalized, digitized world? A study on regional banks and the SME-regional bank relationship.
- Dyhr Ulrich, Anna Marie; Gretzinger, Susanne; Hollensen, Svend & Leick, Birgit (2018). Entry of Emerging Markets: Conceptualization of an International Business Incubator.
- Dyhr Ulrich, Anna Marie; Gretzinger, Susanne; Hollensen, Svend & Leick, Birgit (2018). Getting Embedded in Industry Networks Abroad: The Case of LINAK A/S.
- Leick, Birgit (2018). Demographic change: Firms, institutions, and the regional economy. Show summary
- Leick, Birgit (2018). Kooperation im Kontext der Regionalentwicklung: Sind Unternehmenskooperationen und -netzwerke (k)ein Thema (mehr) für die Wirtschaftsgeographie? (Academic Presentation for the final evaluation of the results in the post-doctoral dissertation). Show summary
- Leick, Birgit (2018). Network brokers in the periphery: A case study on business networking and knowledge sharing in rural-peripheral regions.
- Leick, Birgit & Gretzinger, Susanne (2018). Netzwerk-Broker als interdisziplinäres Forschungsthema: Einblicke in die qualitative Metasynthese zur Aggregation und Reflektion empirischer Studien, I: Jeannine Wintzer (red.), Sozialraum erforschen: Qualitative Methoden in der Geographie. Springer Nature. ISBN 978-3-662-56276-5. Chapter 21. s 331 - 350
- Leick, Birgit; Gretzinger, Susanne & Instrup, Mads Bruun (2018). Network brokers in the periphery: A study on business networking and knowledge sharing in rural-peripheral regions.
- Vinogradov, Evgueni; Kivedal, Bjørnar Karlsen & Leick, Birgit (2018). Modelling development of online peer-to-peer accommodation services: an agent-based approach.
- Gretzinger, Susanne & Leick, Birgit (2017). Managing co-operative business networks for service co-creation in rural Denmark: A case from the renewable energy sector.
- Leick, Birgit (2017). Fachgebiet Wirtschaftsgeographie, Stichwörter von A-Z, I: Gabriele Broll (red.), Diercke Wörterbuch Geographie. Westermann. ISBN 9783141008401. Stichwörter von A-Z.
- Leick, Birgit & Gretzinger, Susanne (2017). Bridge-builders in the periphery? The concepts of institutional entrepreneurship and network brokers and their role for innovation-based business networking.
- Matuschewski, Anke; Demuth, Marcel & Leick, Birgit (2016). Growth-paradigms and the vicious circle of economic-demographic decline: a view from an East German region. Regions. ISSN 1367-3882. 302(1), s 8- 11
- Leick, Birgit (2015). Franchising, In Frederick Wherry & Juliet Schor (ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Economics and Society. Sage Publications. ISBN 9781452226439. Chapter "Franchising". s 730 - 735
- Leick, Birgit (2015). Outsourcing, In Frederick Wherry & Juliet Schor (ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Economics and Society. Sage Publications. ISBN 9781452226439. Chapter "Outsourcing". s 1227 - 1230
- Leick, Birgit (2015). State-Owned Enterprises, In Frederick Wherry & Juliet Schor (ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Economics and Society. Sage Publications. ISBN 9781452226439. Chapter "State-Owned Enterprises". s 1519 - 1522
- Leick, Birgit & Stroehl, Alexander (2013). Demographischer Wandel im ländlichen Raum: Anpassungsdruck und Anpassungsstrategien regional orientierter Unternehmen. Europa Regional. ISSN 0943-7142. 19(1), s 41- 55 Show summary